Cranial Center is proud to offer the latest technology for treating patients with deformational Plagiocephaly; The STARscanner® laser data acquisition system.
The STARscanner® is an effective and trusted system, used by leading practitioners and children’s hospitals for STAR cranial remolding orthosis treatment since 2001. The STARscanner® was the first scanning system to receive clearance from the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in capturing infant head shape data. The STARscanner® is classified and cleared by the FDA as a Class 1 laser-scanning device because it emits very low-power laser energy. Other examples of Class I laser products include laser printers, CD players and CD-ROM devices. Many other scanning technologies, however, are Class II, which means their lasers are stronger and may not be as safe for infants. The STARscanner® technology has a published clinical paper that proves the efficacy of treatment for both the scanner and STARband™ cranial remolding orthosis.
- Replaces the traditional plaster casting process.
- Scanning process is eye-safe and takes less than two seconds to complete.
- Software reports detail head shape measurements and calculate craniofacial indices (including volumes, symmetry ratios, circumference, and linear measurements)
- Measures efficacy of cranial remolding orthosis treatment by documenting outcomes for physicians and parents.
- Documents effectiveness of physical therapy and repositioning efforts.
- Produces three-dimensional documentation of pre and post-operative head shape changes.
- Provides insurance companies with specific measurements, information, and quantitative outcome analysis.
How The STARscanner® Works
The baby lies in an open STARscanner® bed, which is much like the baby weighing scale found in most pediatricians’ offices. While parents and clinician stand alongside, the eye-safe laser collects the baby’s head measurements. The measurements are immediately viewable on the clinician’s desktop as a 3-D image of the baby’s head shape that illustrates where reshaping needs to occur. STARscanner® is the only scanner that illustrates and analyzes the baby’s head shape changes throughout treatment.